Thursday, February 9, 2012

I have a huge bag of masa that I'd like to use. I can't eat wheat flour and was wondering if masa would work in a pizza crust.|||I would make it into a polenta and cool it so you can slice it. Once you slice it, you can prepare it like pizza.

Slice it thin (1/4 inch) and brush with olive oil and broil it until it begins to brown. Remove from broiler and top with pizza toppings and return to oven until toppings are done the way you want them.

I do this frequently although I serve it in small slices than a traditional pizza would be.


--------edit---------

No yeast.

I forget the exact measurements I use, but basically, all I use in making polenta is the corn flour, salt, water, butter or olive oil and cheese. In your case, I would add Parmesan cheese since you are making pizza (about 1/2 cup grated parm for every cup of masa should do it).

Once you make the polenta it will look like mashed potatoes. Spread in a loaf pan evenly and refrigerate for a few hours. It will become solid and easy to slice with a knife.

Polenta actually is very easy to make in a microwave. Make it like this (add the cheese at the end if you want for a nice flavor). This recipe is the basic polenta recipe from the Microwave Gourmet by Barbara Kafka. I have used it many times

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/polenta/鈥?/a>|||not exactly Pizza, below Althought not Gluten free it makes a great dough
2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup Masa Harina
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Agave syrup
1 & 1/3 cup water (tends to be less sometimes)
2 + 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
makes nice dough but not for thin pizza

Report Abuse

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment